Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Faith through a child

This was a post from my sister Heidi, in response to my post "Great Is Your Faithfulness." Among the myriads of lessons to be learned from children (including having faith like one), God uses children to bring us back to that time before cynicism and pessimism, and shows us that there was a time that we too wondered unhindered at His creation, and that we can do so still. Thank you Heidi, for insights that only a mother could have.

I never realized that I had "lost the wonder" of God's creation until I had children. Fall has always been my favorite season because of the changing of the leaves and realizing that only our God could make "death" a beautiful thing; that is into a promise of Spring. However, until I had children I didn't realize that the "magic" of it all had dissipated somewhat. In the busyness of life we don't "stop to smell the roses" (or play in the leaves). We let the season fly by and forget what it is all there for: a reminder of who God is and His faithfulness to us. I am truly grateful that every time we step outside of the house or the car I have a 3 1/2 year old who gasps in true amazement at the color of the leaves and how they have now fallen out of the tree just for her to play in and enjoy. I even asked my husband not to mow the front lawn, so that my daughter could enjoy the leaves a little longer, and I could find the child-like wonder again. Thanks, Mike.

No comments: