Saturday, October 28, 2006

Emergent Revisited

My oh my, where do I begin? What an amazing blessing this conference has been! This post could very well be 20 pages in length if I were to adequately respond to all that has gone on here in the last 48 hours. As expected, my opinion has altered slightly since my last post, although "nuanced" is perhaps a better word. I was corrected in my critique of cohorts, and am planning on attending one soon. There was so much great dialogue on both sides of the debate, so much that I want to address, but I'll restrain myself from "being in the judge's seat" as TallSkinnyKiwi put it. I accept that criticism from him knowing how my brothers and sisters can be at WTS, but as Mark Traphagen noted, there are many of us here who are simpathetic to much of the EM and I for one am excited to see how the evangelical church can assume what I consider to be invaluable assets of this movement. For me this would, of course, attempt to maintain the Reformed theology while incorporating the missiology and cultural sensitivity so prevalent in the EM (I don't consider this to be an impossible task!)

One issue that my friend and fellow student Keely raised concerning all this is one I found to be of great importance. It seems that all the current leaders of the EM are all very theologically educated in various backgrounds (again, I can't say this is universally true, but it is for all the leaders I've encountered so far). TallSkinnyKiwi even notes his appreciation of being able to step back and look objectively upon his Reformed history. This, brothers and sisters, is an invaluable gift. We must all look upon our past traditions with scrutiny and constantly measure that against the unchanging truths of Scripture. But what about the people who come to Christ under the EM? What objectivity do they have? I'm afraid the next generation of EM will find itself ignorant of the rich heritage of the variuos historical traditions and simply avoidant of anything dogmatic. To put it metaphorically, I see them being raised on whipped cream by men and women who were fed with beef but didn't like the plate on which it was served. Is this a fair observation? I'd love to hear some thoughts from the EM folk on this.

All that said, I simultaneously feel a great bond in Christ by mere virtue of the Missio Dei, what God is doing globally through the EM as well as the traditional church. I thank God for all the diversity of His Church and the fact the we are all brothers and sisters in Christ with actively passionate hearts for serving Him. My hope is that here iron shall sharpen iron and we will seek to draw upon the rich assets of our respective approaches to missiology, ecclesiology and what it means to be in the world but not of the world. My goodness, what better theme to discuss on a site dedicated to the life of the sojourner! May God bless us all in our sincere endeavors to make it all about Him and not about us.

A Sojourner

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi mike. its a good concern to have about the next generation. i am seeing them (and i work with EC in about 30 countries) have a huge interest in roots and history but it expands wider than the western world of the 1600's and 1700's. They want to read widely from a post-colonial library but they do want to be connected.

A Sojourner said...

Andrew -
that's great news, and I'm thankful that God has brought this conviction upon your heart for this endeavor. the last couple days i've felt just electric, just really excited about what's going on, because God has laid a burden on my heart for reviving social action in my church (PCA). i'll be checking out your blog for news and discussion and i hope you'll continue to stay connected with what's going on over here. we can all use the encouragement, am i right? God bless brother,

Mike

A Sojourner said...

Mark -
I gotta admit, i wasn't quite sure what to expect with this conference. but i'm now echoing your hope that guys get fired up about this stuff and respond not in the typical WTS fashion, but with sincere openness and the kind of recognition of EM's assets that characterized Dr. Leonard's lecture. i'll be looking forward to working with you guys (you, Tony, Art, Denise, et al) for any opportunities to see where the Spirit will lead us about this.

Anonymous said...

Mike:

I had the same question running through my head about engagement with heritage for the "2nd EM generation" as I was listening and then going on the EM blogs. It's not so unlike what we lose over the generations in terms of declining biblical literacy and what that does in the evangelistic enterprise in our American context. So while I take Andrew's comments seriously about a broader heritage than the Reformation, it's still something to think about.

Certainly this dialog will be useful and I commend the Student Association for taking the lead and pulling our community along.

I know Mike Horton recorded an interview with Scot McKnight for airing on the White Horse Inn. I look forward to hearing that and then seeing how that too can further iron sharpening iron. Hopefully Modern Reformation magazine can re-address this whole topic in a future issue. I can certainly look to add some EM titles to the book review section.

Agree with you that Dr. Leonard's talk was very encouraging and helpful, especially for those of us (read me) who have not done the reading yet.

A Sojourner said...

Hey Diana

thanks for checking out my blog! i don't know if you meant to leave a link to your blog or not, but if so it didn't make it, could you send me a link? i also am still fearful for the decline in biblical literacy on the broad spectrum both in our church as well as in the EM. while i see a problem in both, i consider it an invaluable asset to have a framework and foundation from which to draw. the EM may find itself splinting into thousands of factions as each leader steers that area's following using his own background. it is encouraging though, to see some EM leaders open to criticism and approaching even their own perspectives objectively, like Andrew.

by the way, if you commend anyone, commend Tony Stiff; he was the frontman, he had the idea months ago and the SA just followed his passion to see it happen. hopefully we can follow up with some feedback from the student body and keep seeking Christ in all this.

mike

Anonymous said...

Great to read your blog and what's going on down there.

Ecua is great and funny at the same time...You can check out some pixies when you have time:)

I might go over to Robin's place during the weekend. They are very nice to me. I am glad I found them:)

lsq