Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Round 2

Well, this is my second attempt at getting "with it"; my first atttempt at blogging was ill-fated and met its demise shortly after it began. Hopefully this will last a little longer. As you may or may not be able to assume from the title of my blog, "Strangers in a Strange Land," this site is dedicated to the life of the believer in this world, specifically about my experiences, both past and present. The overwhelming feeling of all my experiences has been exactly that: there is a feeling that I don't quite belong here, that I shouldn't get too comfortable, and that I'm really seeking after Canaan. As a Christian I always feel a bit like a social misfit, even called to be so, yet in the world just the same. Never has this reality made itself so manifest as in my time in Ecuador; a 6'5" ghastly white blonde guy hasn't much hope to blend in with Ecuadorians. Yet lessons learned there about what it means to live as a sojourner will stay with me all the days of my life. Surely these lessons will be the themes of future blogposts. I hope this blog will serve to inform my loved-ones of the going-ons of my life as well as generate thought and dialogue concerning issues related to our pilgrimmage on this terrestrial ball. For now I'll leave you with this incomplete yet provocative quote from C.S. Lewis' A Grief Observed,

"It doesn't really matter if you grip the arms of the dentist's chair or let your arms lie in your lap; the drill drills on."

I've purposefully left this quote out of its context to see how people respond to it, for in its context Lewis is making a very profound assertion about suffering and grief. May this be a blessing to your heart as well as mine.

A Sojourner

6 comments:

snubnosed in alpha said...

There are times when I'll be struggling and Christian friends will say, "Romans 8:28, God works all things together for the good of those who love Him." I usually respond with a smile, a nod and a 'thankyou.' But usually I'm thinking, "Yeah, right. You can't fool me. I've read Job...."

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading your blog. I'm glad you've taken it up again.

Heather said...

welcome to blog-world! i enjoyed reading your first entry and resonate with so much of the trueness you express about being "pilgrims through a foreign land." Melissa gave me your blogsite. Mine is hiddenglory.blogspot.com--but I haven't posted recently. -Heather Nelson

goodnight moon said...

Well my first reaction is to bite down on my tongue, both for the purpose of swallowing my scream and for soothing the tooth that was just drilled before the novocaine took effect. But then I get it. Sometimes I just think that my hands couldn't even be surgically removed from the arms of the chair even if I gave my consent.

Welcome to the blogsphere, stranger! Looking forward to more posts.

A Sojourner said...

It's a little late, I'm a little sick, and I have a midterm tomorrow, so this post might be a little disjointed...or perhaps this is just the right time to write. Either way, in typical Lewis form, he utilizes an extended metaphor to let us theological lightweights understand what he's talking about. Here, he recognizes that there are two approaches to grief, both of which involve fear. No matter how old you are, you always fear the dentist because even though he intends for you good, you know it will hurt. Now actual fear may not be involved in the grief, but it may feel like fear; "the anxiety, the constant need to swallow" as Lewis states. I appreciate his honesty in giving equal validity to those who "deal" with the pain by ripping the arms off the dentist's chair and to those who SEEM to manage the pain quite well. Nota bene the second group: they're screaming on the inside...

taboo sexual stories said...

A metallic click marked the ejection of Gingers clip from herweapon Gladys heard rhythmic crunching glass. Again my only answer was increased passion from the couple.
true femdom stories
cfnm masturbation stories
free lesbian sex stories with pictures
hot free preteen sex taboo stories
free gay doctor blowjob stories
A metallic click marked the ejection of Gingers clip from herweapon Gladys heard rhythmic crunching glass. Again my only answer was increased passion from the couple.